This Apple Bellies (Cinnamon Apple Turnover) recipe is inspired from a visit to Efteling in Holland. Efteling is a fairytale theme park in the south of Holland that is the perfect destination for families, where a diverse range of attractions suit all ages and interests. In between the roller coasters, gentler water rides, fairytale scenes and live shows, families can catch up at Efteling’s diverse cafés and restaurants that showcase the best of Dutch cuisine.
Ingredients (makes 12 pies):
- butter (for greasing)
- 12 slices of frozen puff pastry
- 2 large apples (about 300g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 60g of fine granulated sugar
- 60g raisins
- 15g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- tbsp light brown caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 °C. Grease a cupcake tin with some butter. Remove the plastic film from the puff pastry and defrost the slices side by side on a sheet of baking paper for a few minutes.
- Cut the apple into small pieces and place them in a bowl with the cinnamon, sugar, raisins, and breadcrumbs. Mix the filling well.
- Cut a circle from each slice of puff pastry with a cookie cutter. Keep the rest of the puff pastry to one side. Place the circles in the moulds of the tin and press the bottom and sides down a little.
- Fill each mould with a large tablespoon of filling. With the remaining puff pastry, cut 60 of approximately 1cm x 6 cm (five strips per cake). Place three strips vertically over the filling with a little space between them, and the other two horizontally over them. Press the ends to the side so that they stay nicely within the shape.
- Beat the egg in a bowl with a fork and the brush over the strips of puff pastry until they shine. Finally sprinkle over the brown sugar.
- Bake the tarts for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let them cool a little and remove them from the baking tin by gently turning it upside down. Stand them upright and let them cool.
Since the opening in 1952, more than 130 million visitors have experienced an unforgettable day at Efteling, in the south of Holland. Over the years, Efteling has grown to become one of Europe’s biggest theme parks, with a unique fairytale atmosphere, natural surroundings and a wide range of thrilling attractions. It is now ranked in the top 25 theme parks in the world, according to the Tea Theme Index 2018. Efteling is open all year round and is an ideal family short-break destination with the Efteling Hotel and the holiday villages Efteling Bosrijk and Efteling Loonsche Land just a stone’s throw away. Through a programme of phased growth, Efteling became an international destination with five million visitors per year.