Recreate A Philadelphia Cheesesteak From Campo’s Deli
A cheesesteak is a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak and melted cheese in a long hoagie or sub roll. A popular regional fast food, it has its roots in the U.S. city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and is completely delicious whether eaten in summer in the park or taken home to eat in front of the fire on a snowy winter’s afternoon!
For those craving a classic Philadelphia cheesesteak, Campo’s Deli in Old City is a family run sandwich shop that has been making cheesesteaks, hoagies and other speciality sandwiches since 1947. For those looking to try their hand at cooking the perfect cheesesteak at home, Campo’s has provided a recipe to help bring the taste of Philadelphia to the kitchen:
Ingredients (makes one cheesesteak):
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 150g shaved rib-eye steak, sliced to approximately 1/8th inch thickness
- 2 cheese slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 9-inch Italian roll or soft roll subs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Philadelphia Cheesesteak Recipe
- In a large sauté pan or on a griddle, add oil and heat to medium-high.
- Add onion followed by a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook onions until soft (5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add rib-eye and a pinch of salt and pepper. Let each slice cook for roughly 45 seconds, then flip and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add slices of cheese on top of steak and cover to melt cheese (10 seconds).
- Transfer steak, onions and cheese onto sliced Italian roll and enjoy! For more information on Campo’s Deli, visit www.camposdeli.com.