The Maldives are such beautiful islands and their cuisine is based on three main ingredients and their derivatives, namely coconut, fish, and starches containing grains and vegetables.
Transport Yourself to the shores of the Indian Ocean with JW Marriott Maldives Resort & Spa’s Smoked Tuna Mas huni and Roshi Flatbread.
Mas huni is a typical Maldivian breakfast, composed of tuna, onion, coconut, and chili. All ingredients are finely chopped and mixed with the grated coconut. This dish is usually eaten with freshly baked Roshi flatbread. Roshis are like Indian rotis, except they’re made with all purpose flour instead of wholewheat flour.
Smoked Tuna Mas Huni and Roshi Flatbread Recipe
For the Mas huni
1 cup smoked tuna – diced or sliced (substitute 1 can of tuna chunks)
1 cup coconut – scraped or grated
1 scotch bonnet finely chopped
½ cup finely sliced onion
½ cup lemon juice
Salt to taste
For the Roshi flatbread
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 cups hot (just boiled water)
For the Mas huni
- Dice the onions, and scotch bonnet with the lemon juice and salt.
- Add the tuna and mix well.
- Mix in the coconut.
- Serve with roshi.
For the Roshi
- Mix all the ingredients then add warm water gradually, kneading until you have a dry, smooth dough. OR put all ingredients in a food processor and knead with the dough hook for about 2 minutes. Take out the dough and knead it a little by hand, mixing in little pieces of dough that did not combine.
- Break the finished dough into golf ball sized pieces.
- Smooth the balls using your hands.
- Dust each ball with flour and using a rolling pin spread evenly into circles that are about 6 -7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a shallow frying pan, place each roshi on the pan and flip using a flat ladle until both sides are cooked to your preference.